Roller Derby Certification Program for Officials
Now Accepting Applications for Level 1 Status!
The Roller Derby Certification Program for Officials supports the training and recognition of performance for all flat track roller derby officials. This new system includes a new Recognized certification and three certification levels, corresponding to proven performance in officiating at different levels of gameplay:
- Recognized: Apply Here
- Level 1 – Other/Regulation Play: Apply Here
- Level 2 – Regulation/Sanctioned Play: Applications will be opened when demand for Level 1 is met, no earlier than Spring 2019 but perhaps as long as Late 2019.
- Level 3 – Sanctioned/Playoffs/Championships Play: Applications will be opened when demand for Level 1 is met, no earlier than Spring 2019 but perhaps as long as Late 2019.
See What Do Certification Levels Mean? for an in-depth analysis of what performance has been proven at each level.
To attain any level of certification, officials must complete a set of online training courses and a test. For levels 1-3, officials must also prove their performance over a minimum number of games and provide peer assessments of their officiating. Game requirements may include sanctioned and regulation play in order to promote easier access to the certification system. Evaluations and feedback are not required, and may be submitted for Certified Officials only.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can see our Frequently Asked Questions list here (check back, as new questions may be added in the future).
The cost charged by the online learning system for access to coursework and tests, which is required for all levels and Legacy certification, is $30 US (payable in the WFTDA Learning Management System via PayPal). This fee is necessary to cover the cost of the online learning program and includes:
- Online learning subscription for all courses for the certification level, for the duration of one’s certification level;
- The appropriate online test for the certification level;
- One certification patch, including worldwide shipping;
- Once certification is achieved, access to membership forums.
Other benefits and courses may be added to the subscription in the future.
Individuals who may have difficulty paying the LMS fee can request a stipend by submitting this form.
Officials may pursue Skating and Non-Skating Official certification concurrently, and are not required to pay a second fee. Any course that is required for both tracks (such as “Rules” and “Risk Management”) only needs to be completed once. All positional classes and tests will need to be passed, and all game and peer review requirements met separately for each type of certification.
If these pages don’t answer your questions, feel free to contact us: