COVID-19 Wellness Tips and Resources
Stay Healthy and Connected
Here are some tips to help you stay mentally and physically healthy, and connected with your leaguemates during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Do whatever feels good. Meditation, reading, yoga, breathing, reducing whatever stress you can. Do nothing if you don’t want to or feel like it.
- Listen to podcasts, watch all the Netflix, do all the hobbies you have put on hold because of roller derby.
- Ask for help. Ask for assistance. And if you can, help out in any shape or form which is possible to you. This can be going shopping for someone or having a long overdue phone call with an old friend.
- Have some fun: Watching goofy derby videos is the best. Like the ones from the Tiger Bay Brawlers or the The Harpies.
Stay Active and Connected
Staying active is staying healthy! Can’t train or go to the gym, or even go outside? There are many workouts online and for free, and people in our community are offering live workouts or virtual group workouts, as well as creative ideas for staying active and connected with your team.
- Youtube or other platforms will be your new friends, such as Yoga With Adriene.
- IronOctopusFitness has created a special #CovidDerby Training Program.
- Laci Knight helps to motivate you with KnightStrong training workouts on Instagram.
- Various online conferencing and communication tools can be used to meet or work out as a group (e.g. Zoom, Google Meet/Hangouts, Skype, Slack, Discard, or Jitsi, etc.). Dublin shows how it is done.
- Gem from York Minxters Roller Derby has compiled a wealth of resources to get you through your Roller Derby Isolation. Members from the community are also invited to contribute.
Watch. All. The. Derby.
- Check out our YouTube and Twitch channels for new content and live streams.
- Working out is boring on its own? Try the Roller Derby Watching Workout from Power Through the 4th Whistle.
- Watch your favorite games from the past on our WFTDA YouTube channel or the WFTDA.tv Archives.
- This is the time to nail your footage watching skills. Don’t know where to start? Kid has got you covered with tips on Footage Watching with Purpose.
- Have virtual watch parties with your friends on YouTube or Twitch where you can chat and discuss what’s happening on track and share all.your.derby.feelings.
- Or just have a movie night with your team with the Netflix Party Chrome extension.
- Podcasts are great for mindfulness, but also to keep learning and educating yourself, for example about Holding Space in Roller Derby with Magical Wheelism.
- On that note: Check the WFTDA Code of Conduct Toolkit if you haven’t yet and do some of the exercises with your league (virtually, of course).
- Here is something controversial: read The Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby! And the Officiating Certification online lessons are not just useful for Officials. Maybe it is time to brush up on your derby knowledge off track?
Be Proactive and Get Organized
- Get active on the WFTDA forum and/or find a volunteer job (ask your WFTDA rep!).
- Stay active on your league forum. Now is the time to finally mark some of the things off your to do list. (Like, have you ever finished your on-boarding documents?) Need more inspiration? Bork Bork Bork has you covered.
- Clean your bearings, wash your pads, and check your equipment with the handy WFTDA Guide for Equipment Check.
We Are Still Athletes. So Stay Healthy.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Eat well.
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated.
- Practice social distancing.